• Wix Facebook page
Community Services


Are you growing older and worrying about being able to stay at home?

Are you living with a disability?

Are you caring for a family member or friend?

Mallee Track Health & Community Service (MTHCS) receives funding to provide a range of services designed to support you, and or the person you care for, to stay independent and living at home for as long as possible. Helping people stay active, involved and doing as much as possible has proven to help people stay more independent with a greater sense of wellbeing.  This is the approach MTHCS takes when working with you.

MTHCS community-based services include options to ensure you are eating well, getting out and about and managing your health and well being.  We work with you and the people who support you, to find out the things that you want to achieve and that are important to you.  We then help put in place the right solutions with you.  We will assist you to do as much as you can for yourself, to help maintain your independence.


Overview of Community Services


MTHCS receives funding from a number of areas to provide community based services.  These funding sources include:

  • Multi Purpose Service funding

  • Commonwealth Home Support Program funding for people 65+ or Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders 50+

  • Home and Community Care Funding for people with a disability under 65

  • PHN—Rural Primary Health Care Services

  • Department of Health & Human Services

  • Department of Veterans Affairs


All of these funded programs have different requirements and eligibility criteria. Staff may ask you questions and ask you to complete forms relevant to the funding stream that is supporting you to receive the relevant service.

MTHCS community services are available to all members of the community. Some services are on a fee-for-service basis and others are partially funded.


Referrals and Contact Details


To access or enquire about services please phone:

Ouyen (03) 5092 1111                   Sea Lake (03)5070 2155

Reception staff are often the first point of contact for people enquiring about services and may require personal and health details. Staff require this information to link you with the appropriate staff and services.  Depending on your enquiry, the relevant staff member will contact you. This may take a few days depending on staff availability.

All information is treated confidentially.

MTHCS accepts the following types of referral:

  • Self-referral from the customer, their carer or relatives

  • Referral from a health professional (GP, Community Nurse, Case Manager)



From July 1st 2016 All clients over 65 or over 50 if Aboriginal or Torres strait Islander needing help to stay independent at home, close to their loved ones and connected to their communities are to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or go to www.myagedcare.gov.au to request an assessment to receive services under the Commonwealth Home Support Program from MTHCS.

Please reload

Please reload